Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Software

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

My Deathbed Vision


I didn't ask for this mask
some surgeon crafted and tossed it
in my face
I didn't pick the tone or the hues
or the shadows

I asked for a breath
for once 
but breath is a gift granted
by the firmament 
to those who waste it in fury 
and fumes

I tasted a tube
and the plastic so strong
disappointed
my sense of anthropomorphism

My mechanical heartbeat
its string pulled
by accident
so they pierced my heart 
to fix it
and they really didn't...

I never asked for that either.

They said I was sick
in the blood
my aspirations anemic
my wellbeing thin...

I had only one ambition
to make peace with my maker
to be consumed by him or her
to be kissed and blessed
and forever forgotten...

For my mother at the peak of her illness and in the pit of my despair. She had undergone several flawed procedures and surgeries, suffered a heart attack, and just barely made it through alive. We had faith in God and he saved us.